Tuesday, February 12, 2013

One last "month on a train" post...

I wish I'd been blogging when I took my train trip to Europe.  It really was a great experience and I feel like fifteen years later, it's hard to do it justice.  I also didn't have a digital camera back then-- no one did, really.  So all my photos are printed and my scanner is all jacked up.  My iPhone is full of photos of the dogs, so I can't really take pictures of the pictures..  I also have a tendency not to be frugal with taking pictures and often end up taking the same photo several times, then not deleting them.  In the course of fifteen years, some of my photos got misplaced.

Still, when I think back on that trip, it was kind of remarkable.  I was so fortunate to be able to do the trip... to take a month out of my life and just go where the wind took me.  Everyone should be able to take a month to just wander and if you're able to do it in Europe, so much the better.  I have a feeling that trip was a once in a lifetime thing, but I think it would be great fun to do it again sometime... especially if I can take my husband with me.

The year prior to my train trip, a Peace Corps friend and I spent three weeks traveling through Turkey and Bulgaria.  We went by bus from Armenia, which involved a long stop at the hellish border with Turkey and Georgia.  That trip was far less comfortable than my trip through Europe was... It involved a lot of riding on rickety buses, sleeping on floors, and eating street food.  Maybe that should be my next topic.

I wish Americans had more chances to travel.  I wish they had more inclination to go places, try new things, and get out of their comfort zones every once in awhile.  Granted, I pretty much live as a shut in, owing to my status as an Overeducated Housewife.  But I always have a desire to go places and see new things-- not so much in the United States, though there are places in this country I'd like to see.  What I'd really like to do is travel around the world... as long as I can do it with someone I love and with whom I am very compatible.  I would imagine that would be my husband, Bill.

Not that there isn't something to be said for traveling alone...  When you travel alone, you can end up meeting interesting people.  But when you travel with someone you love, you end up with more courage to do incredible things... Like hike up to the top of a castle and see the view below...

 
The view from Hohenzollern Castle in Germany

About four years ago, my husband drove that point home to me when we were sitting in a beer spa in the Czech Republic.  We had been soaking in pewter tubs full of beer while sipping beer from a glass.  My husband looked at me with love in his eyes and said, "You know, I would never be able to do this if I hadn't met you."

I count that moment as one of the best bonding moments of our ten year marriage.  I hope we can have many more.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.