Monday, October 28, 2013

The Azores...

As I sit here pondering the last year of Bill's active duty Army career, I realize that soon he will likely have less leave for good trips.  He will also have lower priority for trips on military hops.  I have never been to Portugal.  Neither has Bill.  The Azores, which is a group of islands in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, is part of Portugal.  It's also stunningly beautiful.

Bill and I noticed that there are regular flights going to the Azores every week that usually have seats available.  Looks like they also have regular flights back to the US with seats available.  So last night, we were talking about visiting the Azores.  One of my friends lived in Portugal in the 1980s and visited the Azores.  He said it wasn't a very interesting place to visit.  Having looked around on the Internet, I am inclined to disagree.  From what I've seen in photos, the Azores look like a cross between Hawaii and Ireland.  Parts of it are very green, with deep blue ocean and volcanos.  There are hydrangeas everywhere.  And anywhere there's that much ocean, there is bound to be great seafood.

I have a friend who visited the Azores courtesy of a military hop.  She said when they visited, she and her husband were able to pick up some delicious port.  I am also a port fan.  I like laid back vacations, beaches, friendly locals, and unusual non-touristy places.

I don't know if that's where we'll go next… I do think our next trip will probably be via a military hop, though.  We don't have as much money in Texas as we did in North Carolina.  We will in February, when we're done paying off my car… Then things will temporarily be better… but we will also be preparing for Bill's retirement.  I was hoping we could take a good trip after he retired.  I think that a hop may be the best way to do that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.