Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Vienna, Austria Part 8... coming home!

Unfortunately, our last night in Vienna was a bit of a let down.  Bill picked up a cough of some sort while he was in Africa and he woke me up in the middle of the night.  I had indigestion, no doubt from all the good food and beer we enjoyed on Sunday.  I managed to grab a little more sleep, but was still kind of crabby in the morning as we packed up to get to the airport.

Bill ordered a cab online.  He says this is a good thing to do, especially if you are coming in to Vienna.  If you don't pre-book a cab, you end up paying more.  Our trip to Vienna from the airport was over 40 euros, but coming back it was only 32 euros.  Bill rounded up to 40 because he's a generous guy.  The cab was prompt and arrived at 6:30am, getting us on our way despite the heavy Vienna traffic.

We tried to pre-book my bag but for some reason weren't able to, so once again we paid 30 euros to check my luggage.  Paying to check luggage is one of my many pet peeves, especially since it's a rip off.

I must say, Vienna has a lovely airport with lots of nice amenities.  One thing I loved was the free wi-fi.  There are very nice stores in the airport as well as a beautiful food court/gourmet market.  If we'd had more time, I could have had a good time shopping for goodies.  Instead, we had a nice and huge breakfast that I couldn't finish.  More eggs, sausage, and bacon.  My eyes were way bigger than my stomach, though Bill was able to finish his with ease.



Really good shopping!

One thing the Vienna airport doesn't have in abundance is electric outlets.  They haven't followed the trend of other airports that have installed outlets for people who need to charge their electronics.  I managed to find an outlet in the food court area, though the wi-fi didn't work there.  I guess that's to keep people from camping out there all day.

The flight back to Stuttgart was uneventful, yet annoying.  The guy in the seat in front of me insisted on reclining for a one hour flight.  The guy across the aisle from me kept farting or something... it wasn't nice.  Fortunately, the flight was quick and turbulence free and we were soon on our way home... until we got on A8, which closely resembled a parking lot.  I mean it.  The cars were barely moving.  It took forever to get to the exit to A81.  I was feeling queasy from the flight and the smell of diesel fumes.

We got home at about noon and I immediately slipped into my nightie because I knew I wasn't going anywhere.  Bill went to the Hunde Hotel Haase to get the dogs.  When he got home, he made this for dinner...


One of our Hello Fresh meals...  Zucchini stuffed with basmati rice, zucchini, and gouda cheese.  The base is rice, cherry tomatoes, and peppers.
 

This was healthy, tasted good, and looked pretty.  

It's good to be home again, though I'm already planning our next trip.  The champagne bucket says we're going to the Canary Islands.  I'm not sure when yet-- maybe in June.  Should be a lot of fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.