Saturday, August 1, 2015

A lovely al fresco meal at Agais...

We had gorgeous weather yesterday.  I spent most of the day kind of wishing Bill was at home so we could enjoy it together.  The temperature was perfectly comfortable.  The sun was shining.  The sky was a lovely shade of blue.  

I had to take Arran to the vet again because I found another mass.  It may be a lipoma of some sort, but I don't wish to take any chances.  I had the vet aspirate some cells just to see if that can tell us anything before I subject him to another surgery.  

It had been awhile since our last visit to see "The Mad Scientist" at Agais in Entringen.  Since the weather was so pretty, we decided to drive down to see him.  The dogs were a little pouty before we left and Zane turned his nose up at a consolation cookie.  


I had been meaning to get a shot of this before...  It's not the prettiest view of the church, but I did get a picture of an airplane too.  Entringen and the surrounding area is so beautiful.  I miss living down that way.

The Mad Scientist greeted Bill and me warmly and asked if we wanted to go sit out on the terrace.  Normally, I like to eat indoors because of bugs and such, but it was so pleasant outside that I was game.  We took our usual spot in Agais's biergarten, though I think 2009 might have been the last time we actually ate out there.  There was one other family there, enjoying something that smelled delicious.  

I was preoccupied and probably talking too loudly about a Facebook discussion I'd had just before we went to the restaurant.  The discussion was about Cecil the Lion and how I think people shouldn't be exacting mob justice on Dr. Walter Palmer, the guy who killed the famous feline.  Note, that doesn't mean I don't think Dr. Palmer is an asshole of the first order.  It just means that I don't condone harassment.  I think people should let the law deal with him.  Anyway, several of my friends disagreed, and we had a bit of a chat about that and I was still discussing it when we sat down.


Had to snap a shot of Bill, who claims he doesn't take good photos.

I thought about having salmon last night, but ended up with my usual gyros platter.  It comes with a salad.  The Mad Scientist was in a good mood and seemed to be more like he was six years ago.  He asked us if there were things we wanted left off.  Bill asked for the onions to be omitted.  I probably should have, too.  When it comes to onions, a little goes a long way.  


But I still managed to enjoy most of this...

Bill ordered souvlaki and let The Mad Scientist talk him into a small salad.  I noticed that he was speaking a lot more German to us than he used to.  When we were here the first time, our favorite Greek restauranteur very happily conversed in English, which he spoke perfectly due to having spent years living in Canada.  I think maybe it's easier for him to speak German now, which is fine... I need the practice.


Nice presentation.


My gyros were good, too.

While I have had better Greek food in other restaurants, it's always a pleasure to visit our old friend.  I asked him if he was going to go to Greece in August, since he used to go every year and close up his restaurant for two or three weeks.  He said that this year, they don't have the money to go.  I said we'd have to come back down to Entringen and visit this month.  He agreed and added, "We'll be open!"  I'm amazed by how much Greek food we eat in Germany.  We almost never eat it when we're in the States.


Last time we lived here, our friend used to close out a meal with pistachio nuts.  I noticed he quit offering them.  Last night, he brought out peanuts for the first time to go with our second round of wine.  And of course, we had ouzo, too.


It looks like today will be a bit cloudy, which is a bummer.  I would have loved another day like yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.