Monday, October 5, 2015

An afternoon in Stuttgart...

Bill and I both had appointments this afternoon to see Dr. Blair in Stuttgart, so he took off work early and picked me up.  We both got dental cleanings and a quick once over by the dentist.  I was supposed to have impressions done for my implant, but the lady who does them has a stomach virus.  Needless to say, I'm glad she called in sick.

Because I didn't leave Dr. Blair's office with a bleeding hole in my mouth or in tears, it was a great opportunity for us to wander around the city center.  For some reason, last time we lived near Stuttgart, we didn't explore the city very much.  I think we had one dinner at a nice restaurant and a visit each to the zoo and the Mercedes Museum.  That was pretty much it.  Dr. Blair's office is right in the middle of downtown and we had beautiful weather, so Bill and I took a walk around.

We visited a church...



I love how churches in Europe are open so people can just walk in and look around.  We went into the foyer, but I was really hungry, so we didn't stay long...


Schillerplatz...


We finally ended up at the Markthalle, which my friend Susanne had recommended for food shopping.  She's right.  It's a great place to go for fancy foods.  Reminded me slightly of the Dallmayr gourmet market in Munich, only it was less crowded and not quite as hoity toity.    


Bill poses by dry aged beef...


We need to come back when it's time to shop. 



They have everything from fresh fruits and vegetables to meats, candies, liquors, and cheeses.


The area around the Markthalle is very pleasant...


Lots of cafes and trees; plenty of places to sit down and have a drink or a nice meal...


We'll be back... as soon as next Monday, actually.  I have to go back and get my impressions done.

We made our way back to the area near Dr. Blair's office, passing a guy playing a super fast rendition of the second movement of Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" on an electronic piano.  It was impressively played, but I wondered what his hurry was.  The weather was so perfect and the mood around him was almost languid as people passed.  

We ended up having dinner at the Paulaner bar in the old post office.  We were lucky because today is the first Monday of the month, which meant they had spare ribs...  It was just what we were in the mood for.       


I catch Bill looking naughty.  He said he was smiling like this because some guy belched loudly as he walked into the restaurant.  For once, I didn't notice.


This beer really went down easy.  Sometimes I get bored with hefeweizens, but when they are fresh from the tap and I'm thirsty, they are just what the doctor ordered.


Bill checks out the "once a month special" spare ribs.  It came with cole slaw and fries...  He brought some home.  They brought him a finger bowl with the funny warning not to drink the lemon water.  I guess someone must have done that, hence the warning.


I had grilled chicken, which is what I've been craving for ages...  Mine came with a salad and fries.  the salad included potato salad, which was delicious but seemed almost like overkill.  The chicken was moist, succulent, and absolutely delicious.  We are going to have to go back for sure, especially since it's so close to the dentist.



Cute little Jack Russell Terrier.  She startled me a couple of times with a loud bark, but was otherwise adorable and well behaved.  She was with a large group of guys who seemed like they'd been buddies for a long time.

Smoking is allowed in the restaurant.  There's also a very nice outdoor seating area.  Don't know how much longer they'll keep it open as winter approaches, but a lot of people were enjoying the nice weather today.  Maybe we should have, too, though the inside of the restaurant is very charming.  Service was quick, friendly, and professional; the wait staff was all dressed in traditional garb.  Our final bill was about 39 euros.  Worth every euro cent!  We'll be back for more!


Maybe we should have sat outside...



All in all, it was a great afternoon in Stuttgart.  We need to go there more often and enjoy what the city has to offer.  We'll be back twice more in the next week, though, so there will be more photos for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.