Saturday, April 9, 2016

Food, fun, and fascism in Germany...

Last night, Bill and I decided to have dinner at Tommi's Bistro.  As usual, the food did not disappoint.  Bill and I had our usual lecker entrecote steaks from Argentina, lots of wine, and potatoes.  Here's a photo.


I paired this with my usual favorite Wildekartoffeln...  Next Thursday is the next live jam!

After a very leisurely morning, we decided to go to Tübingen.  I wanted to visit Vinum for some wine.  Vinum closes at 4:00 on Saturdays, so we needed to hurry.  But we did have enough time for a quick lunch at Die Kelter, which is a favorite restaurant on the way into town.  We got there a little bit after 2:00, so we were limited to their "small" menu.


Bill checks out the menu.


We both had Baisinger hefeweizens...

I flipped a coin because I couldn't decide between wurst or cheese spatzle.  The wurst won...


Nice beer snack.


Bill had the Kelter Burger, which is basically a pulled pork sandwich with cole slaw and wild potatoes with sour cream and chive dip.  Those potatoes are the bomb!  Bill had had the burger last time we visited and it was just as good this time as it was last time.  I probably should have gone with the spatzle, though the wurst and pretzel were good, too.

We stopped into Vinum, tried a few wines that were being highlighted, and ended up coming home with five bottles and a refill of our syrah, which we get from a tap at the back of the store.  I was glad to get there well before 4:00.  Afterwards, we headed to the Neckarmueller, where Bill had one beer and I had two...


A nice Fischer Kellerbier...


Bill had another hefeweizen.


Impressive brewing equipment.


Then I tried a Saphir Fest beer.  This only came in a small size, which was fine with me.  It had notes of orange and cardamom.


A few photos of the Neckar River while I waited for Bill to make a pit stop.




We decided to walk back to the garage via the wooded park area opposite the Neckarmueller.  As we approached the steps to get to the tunnel that leads back to the garage, we ran into what appeared to be three Muslim females.  They heard me speak English to Bill and the two older ones seemed to look at us with hostile disdain.  I simply stared back at them as we made our way to the tunnel, which makes for a convenient shortcut back to the parking garage.  We were talking about the unspoken exchange as we walked through.  Then I noticed some of the graffiti and stickers on the walls... 






I must say, my German is starting to come along a bit...


Then I noticed this business, which I would guess is run by Armenians.  The clue?  The last name.  Most Armenian names end with ian or yan.  Also, note the colors under the name Takesian.  They are the same as the Armenian flag.  I could be wrong, though.  I didn't see any other clues but those.

We gave some thought to going to eat tonight, but I decided I'd rather get into my nightgown and watch The Brady Bunch on DVD.  I'm thinking about booking us a table in Stuttgart after our dental appointment on Monday.  Stay tuned for another restaurant review soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.