Monday, April 11, 2016

While walking my dogs this morning...



Zane and Arran having fun near where we live.

I ran into an elderly lady who, I have discovered on previous walks, speaks English fairly well.  She has two little pugs.  One is the usual fawn color and the other is dark brown.  They appear to be somewhat elderly, like their human companion.

This morning, I spotted the lady coming down one of the roads that lead to the nature trail in the park behind our house.  When we were close enough, she said good morning; then our dogs greeted each other.  The smaller dark brown pug wagged her tail as Arran sniffed her.  Zane stood off to the side with the other pug.

I looked up at the lady who said with a smile, "She is a very nice bitch.  Very friendly!  Like a child!" I stifled a giggle as the dogs finished socializing and we went our separate ways.

Of course, being a native English speaker, I know that it's perfectly fine to refer to female dogs as bitches.  But as an American, I had to laugh when she said her bitch was "very nice".  I may not see as many odd things in Germany as I do back home, but I have to admit that sometimes the cultural exchanges are pretty funny!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.